Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Giraffe-blind



On our hike the other day, Middle, who was pretending we were in Africa, kept seeing giraffes. When I admitted that I had missed seeing any myself, she observed, “Well. Some people are color-blind, and some people are detail-blind, and some people are giraffe-blind. And you are giraffe-blind.”

A bit devastating, to learn one is giraffe-blind. I’m taking comfort in the hope that maybe I can learn to see them, not just imagine them, out in the woods in Midwestern America. I think my children would be willing to teach me.

And in the meantime? I’m in love with Middle’s understanding of detail-blindness. Along with the underlying assumption that neither of us is afflicted. Even though, if pressed, we both might have to admit that we mostly just see the important details.








Subscribe to Dreamer by Email

3 comments:

  1. It sounds to me like Middle might be a kindred spirit to Anne (of Green Gables).

    Annamay

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminded me of Anne too! What a fun conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they could be kindred spirits, but the funny thing is that Middle did not take to those books at all! I suspect she might pick one up again someday and change her mind, but not if I push it. (And as I write that, I'm wondering if that doesn't make them sound even more like kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!