Monday, June 21, 2010

A Thought

“A man may well be less convinced of a philosophy from four books, than from one book, one battle, one landscape, and one old friend.” (G. K. Chesterton)

I came across this quote in an article about teaching worldview, and it really struck a chord. How often do we make a decision about the truth of something based on pure logic or scientific reasoning? And how do you measure that against the strength of a story, poem, song, painting, or movie? Or the roadmap of a life? Or a moment in history?

It seems to me that those who can grasp a philosophy and make it crystallize within a work of art, or a single act, or a life well-lived wield something very powerful.

Capture my imagination, capture my heart.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, thought-provoking! I'm curious, what article was that about teaching worldview? We are using Starting Points this year to address literature and worldview simultaneously and I need all the help I can get! chuckle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's from a newsletter/magazine sent out by Memoria Press. The article is called "The Wrong Way to Teach Worldview", by Martin Cothran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah-ha! Thanks! I have it sitting on my table in a pile of "things to read"! chuckle

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!